Monday, January 10, 2011

Day One--She's Here

We picked her up and brought her home. She was good for the short car ride with only a little whining at the curves. When she came out of the car to her new home, she was not ecstatic. I'm not sure if that was the new environment, the car ride, or the snow. Bors, our pure mutt, came running up to her, upped his ruff and growled. She tucked tail and ran straight between the girl's legs.

Eventually, we brought her inside and she ran all around the house sniffing with the girl in tow. They made several laps and we set out her food and water. She quickly discovered the cat dish and cleaned up all the spilled cat food and many of the crumbs of who-knows-what under the edge of the couch.

The girl and I took her outside and she met my big lab, Percy. He sniffed her and seemed relatively indifferent to her presence. If anything, he liked her because he knew that we would be spending more time outside because of her. We wandered the back field for a while and Genevieve dug something out from under the snow. I'm not sure if it was the remnants of something dead or if it was old poop, but she pulled it out and nibbled a little. I'm sincerely hoping it was leaves. It could have been leaves.

Back inside after about half an hour, she stood up to be picked up into my lap where I was chilling with my laptop in the lazy boy. I picked her up, got a lick on the chin, and she snuggled in for a nap. I immediately had to pee.

After the nap, she walked up and down the girl's body as she laid in the floor watching TV. She also really likes annoying the boy while he's playing his video games. He decided to take her out for a walk wherein he fed her all the treats I had given him for if she came to her name or did her business. Why did he feed her the treats? Because she jumped up on him and because she was shivering. I've got a way to go with the boy and dog training.

About an hour before bedtime, I told the girl to come into her bedroom with me and to shut the puppy up with us. I had read that she should get used to where she's going to be sleeping before she's actually shut up in the crate. Genevieve was having none of it. She knew that we spend most of our time in the living room and wanted back out.

I, being the all-knowing dog trainer from the three internet articles I read yesterday, ignored her. I made the girl play with some silly toy while I graded papers on the bed and the dog tried to get into the toy box and rip all the stuffing out of Big Bunny. She did play at least thirty seconds with the stuffed toy we got specifically for her. Then she started whining, something she hadn't done up until now. When she started sniffing the corners of the room, I yelled, "Take her outside!" and the barefooted girl hefted the puppy and sprinted for the door. When she got to the outside door, she had to set the dog down to unlock and open the door, and watching her dance to keep the dog penned in by her feet cracked me up. She opened the door eventually and nabbed the pup, who did not want to go out into the frigid air that wafted in at all of us.

I gently pushed her out with my foot and went to put my boots on. In my nightgown, coat, and fuzzy-topped boots, I ran around the yard waiting for her to unload. She pooped within a couple of minutes. I gave her the treat and the praise, as the articles dictated. Then we came inside.

I haven't been this excited about poop since my husband had intestinal surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment